Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Found by Haddix (audio)

Found (The Missing, book 1) by Margaret Peterson Haddix. 2008.
Audience: Grades 4-8; ages 10-14
My Rating: 2*s of 5
Summary: When thirteen-year-olds Jonah and Chip, who are both adopted, learn they were discovered on a plane that appeared out of nowhere, full of babies with no adults on board, they realize that they have uncovered a mystery involving time travel and two opposing forces, each trying to repair the fabric of time.
Comments: I finally listened to this book after hearing a lot of buzz about it. Well, I don't feel buzzed by it. The concept is great, but the pacing, dialogue, and *language* dragged it down for me. IMHO Haddix's word choices, especially during dialogue, seem old fashioned to a point that it pulls me from the story and characters. Hearing these outdated choices read aloud was extra enervating! In the genre, Unwind is so incredibly better, but unfortunately for an older audience. But, hey, older kids seem to be liking this book so what do I know?!
Awards: Lone Star list 2010
Read-alikes: Unwind by Shusterman (for teens)

No comments: