Monday, August 30, 2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (*spoiler-free except for one vague quote*)

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Scholastic, 2010.

Audience: Ages 13+

My Rating: 4.5* of 5

Comments: After hearing Suzanne speak in April, I was worried that Mockingjay might shift what had thus far been a seemingly unbiased series of war stories toward a didactic vehicle for Collins' personal message/agenda on war and politics. Suzanne, I will never doubt again. She is far too talented a writer for that to happen even with such delicate subject matter. None of my predictions for the conclusion of this trilogy came to fruition--I've never been so glad to have guessed incorrectly. I enjoyed the pacing, surprises, punches to the gut, revelations, unexpected connections, and unfortunate losses woven into this powerful conclusion. Above all, I admire Suzanne for giving young adult readers an honest, realistic ending to Katniss's story. Life is messy, love is imperfect, war is impossible, but somehow many survive and slowly rebuild a life...and even try to make it good.

There are worse games to play.

No comments: