Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ship Breaker by Bacigalupi (audio)

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi. Narrated by Joshua Swanson.
Audience: 12 and up
My Rating: 3* of 5
Summary: In America's Gulf Coast region, where grounded oil tankers are being broken down for parts, Nailer, a teenage boy, works the light crew, scavenging for copper wiring just to make quota--and hopefully live to see another day. But when he discovers an exquisite clipper ship beached during a recent hurricane, Nailer faces the most important decision of his life: Strip the ship for all it's worth or rescue its lone survivor, a beautiful and wealthy girl who could lead him to a better life.
Comments: In a nutshell: I prefer Hunger Games. Swanson's accents were ethnically confusing--I wonder if this was conscious choice or his lack of dialect prowess? While the first third of the story compelled me, the author's storytelling rhythm eventually bored me, as did his repetitive phrases: "blossomed with pain," etc. Richard Lopez: now there's a fascinating, utterly repulsive villain the likes of which I have not read in a while!
Awards: Printz award, National Book Award finalist
Read-alikes: Hunger Games by Collins

3 comments:

Laura said...

Argh with the "blossomed with pain!" too much! I also thought he overused "damn/ed." I heard him say at TLA that he was really trying to keep it clean (or maybe his editor was pushing him to keep it clean?) but I wouldn't have minded some swearing if it had introduced variety.

But, all that said, I really enjoyed the story, characters, and world. I read it while in vacation and finished it do fast I ended up having to buy another book.

BTW, happy birthday!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the comment and birthday wishes, Laura!

Janssen said...

YES! I noticed the "blossomed with pain" thing too. Ridiculous!

I did NOT pick up the sequel at Midwinter.