Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Underneath by Kathi Appelt

The Underneath by Kathi Appelt. 2008.
Audience: 4-8 Grade; Ages 8-12 (seriously, SLJ and Booklist?! hard to believe.)
My Rating: 4*s of 5
Summary: An old hound that has been chained up at his hateful owner's run-down shack, and two kittens born underneath the house, endure separation, danger, and many other tribulations in their quest to be reunited and free.
Comments: Well, now that it got a Newbery Honor maybe kids will read this one, but otherwise I can't imagine many 4th-8th graders would have picked it up. Beautifully written in a mystical, folkloric tone, the story constantly doubles back on itself as if being told out loud over a period of time. This was hard for me to adjust to for the first 1/3 of the book. Once I caught the rhythm (and the rhythm itself picked up) I enjoyed the experience much more. Ranger, Puck, and Sabine are absolutely as lovable as Gar Face is deplorable. I skipped the main abuse passage which was thankfully quick and soon atoned for. I wish the big decision twist at the end had been more foreshadowed or written into the character because I felt it was a bit convenient as is (but hey, this is a "children's" book, right?). Overall, a wonderful reading experience that I will be curious to see how many kids choose to enjoy.
Awards: Newbery Honor Book 2009
Read-alikes:

No comments: