Friday, January 2, 2009

Wicked Lovely


Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. 2007.
Audience: 14+

Summary:
Aislinn sees faeries. She has always seen faeries. She knows not to trust them. She has spent a lifetime developing strategies to avoid them. So when a faerie starts stalking her, she knows this cannot be a good thing.

She slowly learns that the stalker is Keenan, the Summer King, who believes Aislinn to be the queen he has sought for nine centuries. She is destined (he believes) to help him finally bring an end to the constant winter imposed by the evil Beira. The problem is that Aislinn doesn’t want to become a faerie queen; she wants to have a normal life: finish high school and hang out with her almost-boyfriend, the wonderfully sweet Seth.

Oh, and the other thing. If she does accept him, but she turns out not to be The One, she will become the new Winter Girl, immortal, but with a literal icy touch, and bound to the Summer King until he can find someone else willing to join him. Not much of a choice, right? But have you ever tried to turn down a faerie?

Comments: I liked this one more than I thought I would – I nearly turned off the audiobook when I realized it was about faeries-with-an-e, but it’s a long drive to work with no audiobook, so I gave it the whole drive and by the time I there, I was interested enough in the story to keep going. It wasn’t perfect, some things happened a little too easily, the ending was a little weird, but mostly it was fun to listen to – and gave me something to recommend to Twilight fans.

Read-alikes: Twilight, Blue Bloods

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Yay, yay, yay! Thank you for posting!!! I will put that on my audio list. -B