Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bloody Jack, book 1 (audio)

Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer. 2007.
Audience: 6th Grade and up; 12 and up
My Rating: 5*s of 5
Summary: Jacky Faber,having secured a position as ship's boy aboard the HMS "Dolphin," welcomes the respite from the desperation and hunger of life on the streets of eighteenth-century London, and now has only one thing to worry about--keeping the crew from learning that he is actually a girl.
Comments: The only complaint I can muster for this fantastically narrated story is that I want more, more, more! I bloody loved this book! Jacky is a capable, likable, ingenious girl and I enjoyed taking this voyage with her. I can't wait for the next audio! http://www.jackyfaber.com/
Awards:
Read-alikes: Pirates! by Celia Rees, Bloody Jack adventures books 2-5 by L.A. Meyer

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Recently finished listening to "Curse Of The Blue Tattoo:--Being An Account Of The Misadventures Of Jacky Faber, Midshipman And Fine Lady" (Bloody Jack book 2). It was just as fantastic as the first Bloody Jack adventure. Now we really know and love Jacky for all her virtues and *many* faults. Can't wait to catch up with her again soon! -BB

Bonnie said...

Okay, L.A. Meyer, how you doing this? Book 3 was even *better* than the first 2!!! I even cried in this one, for pete's sake. I'm dying to read more and hope against hope that they don't ever disappoint.

Bonnie said...

Books 4 through 6 down and still going strong! Bloodhound was absolutely brilliant--perhaps my new favorite. Audio for Mississippi Jack was not as high quality as the others (poor mixing job!), but Bonny Light Horseman was French and fabulous.

Bonnie said...

Wake of the Lorelei Lee: a particular favorite!