Monday, February 9, 2009

One False Note

One False Note (39 Clues series, book 2) by Gordon Korman. 2008.
Audience: 4-8th Grade
My Rating: 2*s of 5
Summary: Amy and Dan Cahill are in the lead to find thirty-nine clues that safeguard a great power, and are in possession of a coded sheet of Mozart's music that will help them find the next clue while their relatives follow in close pursuit. (Does not include game cards.)
Comments: I was really disappointed with this book. Between the series hype and the author's reputation, I had high expectations that this flat action story fell far short of. It reads like the screenplay to Da Vinci Code probably did or any given transcript of "The Amazing Race." This might be a good thing, though, for this age audience and espeically boys/reluctant readers? I might also feel differently had I read book 1 and/or checked out the other branches of this multi-media series.
Awards:
Read-alikes: Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

1 comment:

Cindy B. said...

I just finished Book One, Maze of Bones which introduces you to the Cahill Family, sets up the game, and first clue which revolves around Benjamin Franklin. I agree with your Amazing Race comment. Chase scenes, gadgets, danger, and back-stabbing relatives are a constancy here. These are the very things that may appeal to readers. This first bookd is plot driven with a little dash of character development and setting. I agree too this would work for reluctant readers.