Thursday, April 23, 2009

Year of the Dog by Grace Lin (audio)

Year of the Dog by Grace Lin. 2007.
Audience: Grades 3-5; 9-12
My Rating: 3*s of 5
Summary: It's the Chinese Year of the Dog, and as Pacy celebrates with her family, she finds out that this is the year she is supposed to "find herself." Universal themes of friendship, family, and finding one's life passions make this novel appealing to readers of all backgrounds.
Comments: Fantastic narrator! I enjoyed the character of Pacy/Grace as well as her friend Melody. While the mother's "did I ever tell you?" stories were interesting, I occasionally found myself groaning at the arrival of another one. Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but this book made it seem to me that money is one of the most important things in Taiwanese culture. It seems that Chinese-American young readers may especially enjoy seeing their culture and identity in this story.
Awards: Bluebonnet list, 2008
Read-alikes: The Year of the Rat by Grace Lin

No comments: